Monday, December 17, 2007

Scary Times


On Friday morning Eli woke up with a fever, a nasty cough and a horribly stuffy nose. I took him into the doctor and he said to run a humidifier and treat the fever with some tylenol. They checked his breathing and said that everything looked ok. He told me to call back if he got any worse. Friday night things got progressively worse. He was struggling to breath and refused to eat. I raced him into the doctor Saturday morning. They must have thought he was pretty bad because a nurse was waiting for me out in the waiting room. We took him back to the exam room and his doctor came in to check him out. I could tell on the doctor's face that something was very wrong. Eli had a fever of 101, his oxygen level was only at 75% and his heart rate was up to 230!! He sent a nurse to get the oxygen for him and a bag of ice for his fever. The doctor looked at me in the eyes and said, "Your son is VERY sick and he needs to go to the hospital. I am going to call the hospital so they can get a bed ready for him and then I will call an ambulance to take you guys down there." I immediately broke down into tears. I knew Eli was sick but I had no idea it was that bad. I was so scared and all I wanted was Taylor to be there with me. We finally arranged somewhere for the other kids to go and decided that Taylor would meet me at the hospital. The ambulance arrived a few minutes later and we raced downtown. When we got there a team of nurses were waiting for us. They started asking me all sorts of questions but the only thing on my mind was how bad I wanted to hold Eli and tell him that he would be ok. He looked so sick and so helpless. They gave him an IV for fluids because he was extremely dehydrated and they took some blood to run tests to figure out what was going on. They suctioned his nose really good and tested his mucus for RSV. He was on oxygen and IV fluids all day Saturday and Sunday. They took him off of the oxygen Sunday morning when he was showing signs of improvement and we got released yesterday evening. He is still very sick but does not need oxygen anymore so there was no need to stay in the hospital. The diagosis is bronchiolitis. Which is a form of RSV. He needs to have a humidifier going all the time and sleep in his carseat for a while until his chest clears up. I have to keep him away from large crowds and watch his breathing to make sure he is not struggling. I am just so glad that my baby is ok. I am so grateful to my friends who watched the other kids so that Taylor could be with me. It was a very scary time for us.

9 comments:

Haught Fudge said...

Oh Steph, that breaks my heart! I'm so glad everything is better. We're praying for Eli.

laura said...

Reading that just made me break down! That is so scary. I am just glad he is doing better. I am such a mom because I cry so much! Cute family picture!

Doug and Becca said...

Wow Stephanie, you sure have been though alot reading your last few emails. I can't imagine how scary that was for you with Eli. I am so glad he is ok. And then Cody having croup....I hope you don't have to deal with anymore sickness for awhile.

Larson log said...

Steph, I am so glad Eli is doing better. I wish I would have been there to help out. This last month has been no cake-walk huh?

YoU are one tough cookie!

Cody, Ashley, Rilyn, Casen, Brigg, and Brooks said...

Wow it sounds like you've had a rough couple of weeks with sick kids and you getting sick. That stinks. I'm glad that Eli is doing better. That is so sad that he had to go to the hospital. Good luck with everything. I hope everyone gets better soon.

CDR said...

It is so sad to see little ones sick or hurt. I would not of handled that well. I hope you all are happy and healthy for Christmas. Hang in there.

Dustin, Kristin, Allie, Aubrie and Avie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tanya Kimball said...

Stephanie! You are having quite that battle with BAD LUCK! Hallie (my 4 year old) was put in the hospital with RSV and Pneumonia 2 winters ago. I had taken her into the doc at 3PM and by 10PM I was afraid to leave her side because she was so feverish, weezing, and breathing hard. I rushed her to the ER and we were admitted within 15 mins. She ended up being in the hospital for 1 week for oxygen and respirtory therapy. When we did get home she was isolated to the house for 1 month. Did the doctor perscribe breathing treatments? I think that being regular about giving those treatments was the one thing that helped her once she got home. GOOD LUCK!

Jess & Jessica said...

Wow. I can't believe what you guys went through. I would be so scared. I am glad that everything seems to be better. We will remember your family in our prayers. Eli is a tuff little guy.