Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hospital Stay

My younger sister, Marlene, has twin boys, Josh and Tyler. They are 11 months old and hands down the cutest kids I have ever seen. The boys have been sick for quite some time, things like runny noses, ear infections, diarrhea....typical toddler stuff. They also have some feeding issues and it seemed to had gotten progressively worse. The had lost some weightt, acting lethargic, and were dehydrated. Marlene took them to the doctor on Friday morning. The doctor was pretty concerned about their condition so he sent them to the hospital.
When I got news that they were being admitted to the hospital and would be there for a few days I immediately booked a flight and left Friday afternoon to help. I have been in the hospital before with a baby and I just couldn't imagine Marlene trying to care for twins all by herself.
After running some tests and experimenting with different formula, the boys are now on a strict diet of just formula, rice cereal and very bland crackers. They can't have any baby food, table food, or dairy. The docs are hoping that this will help with the boys' discomforts and help them want to start eating again.
I really enjoyed my time with Marlene and her boys. I especially enjoyed the snuggle time! They are so sweet! I am also so grateful to have Taylor be so supportive. He was very willing to watch our kiddos so that I could run off and be a big sister.
Josh and Tyler were discharged on Monday evening. They have gotten their appetites back and hopefully will continue growing on a steady basis.

Tyler sleeping with me


Josh not wanting to sleep




When the boys started feeling better, it was hard to keep them busy/occupied.
Trying to keep busy






2 comments:

The Covington Family said...

you are the most amazing sister in the world! i dont know how i would have survived the hospital stay with out you. thank you for watching over me and being their for me and my boys. we love you like crazy!
p.s. taylor is awesome!!!!!!

CDR said...

I love being an aunt to twins. I agree it is nice to have supportive husbands so we can be the "big sister". Sometimes I act a little too much like the mom for my little sister's taste however. I hope things work out, and they start gaining again soon. I hear of feeding/GI issues all the time all the times these days. They are cute babies!