Saturday, August 2, 2008

Taylor's Bear Hunt

I am happy to report that Taylor made it home from his bear hunt in one piece. I wish I could say that same thing for the bear he shot. Tay left Thursday night so that he would be ready to hunt early Friday. He had to go by himself but his buddy was coming to meet him Friday afternoon. So he just had to stay alive and safe until then. I was so nervous and worried about him. Well, early Friday morning I got a call from him saying that he had already shot a bear! I was so shocked!
Here is the story....
He got up in his tree stand at 3:30am and started calling (making rabbit noises) about 5:45 when the sun was just barely rising. Only 15 minutes into it a bear came strolling around the corner. As the bear got a little closer Taylor took a shot. It was only 10 yards away! The bear went tumbling down a hill and into a small water hole. Taylor waited about 30 minutes to make sure the bear was dead and then went down to check it out. He shot it again at close range just to make sure it was safe to approach it. The bear was about 350 lbs. so now he had to figure out how he was going to get it back to his truck. A fellow hunter had heard the shot and saw what was going on and offered to come help Taylor skin it out so he could carry it back. He arrived at our house with the bear a few hours later. It looked pretty nasty and bloody but it was a really cool cinnamon color. The kids would not go anywhere near it!
The bear is now at a taxidermist being turned into a rug for our house......ummm, Taylor and I will have to hash that out later!!






Taylor also brought home a rattle snake that he had killed. This thing was huge! It has been passed around the neighborhood being used as a prank to scare people!

5 comments:

The Mortensen Clan said...

WE MISS YOU GUYS!!! It looks like you guys are having a great summer. That bear is going to look great as a rug. Taylor is a brave man and you are brave lady letting him go out there by himself!! We are hoping to come visit sometime this year. Avery wanted me to say that she misses Natalie sooo much. I am so glad you have a blog so I can see all the awesome things you are up to. Your kids are beautiful, how is it having four? I don't know if I am ready yet! Eli is sure cute he looks like a happy boy. miss you.

Rennie said...

Are you gonna eat it????? And where was the rattlesnake? Hopefully not in your yard!

Matt and Jayna said...

OH my goodness! Those pictures look unreal! I can't believe he actually hunted a bear...crazy! Maybe your kids will warm up to the bear once it is turned into a rug.

Laura said...

I am with the kids! I would not go near that! That is crazy and definately would freak me out if it were in my house, yikes! Way to go Taylor!

Josh and Stephanie Barney said...

Hey glad you found us. Four kids - wow that is great! It looks like all is going well for you. That snake is huge, I am glad that I am far away so that the prank wasn't pulled on us!