Wednesday, August 20, 2008

New Addition to our Family

We have finally acquired the label "pet people". I never thought the day would come that our kids would want a pet. We had some fish a few years ago but due to an unfortunate accident they are not with us anymore! Natalie has been begging Taylor and I for a cat for at least a couple of years now but I have not been ready to add another thing to my life that I have to take care of. Taylor and I figured that fish were an easy way to give the kids a pet and add some responsibility for them. Last Saturday we went to Petsmart and bought some fish. We got Beta Fish. One is male and one is female. They can't live in the same tank or they will fight each other (huh, sounds like marriage!!) so we bought a tank that has a divider. Natalie named the girl fish Valerie (don't ask where that came from because I have no idea). Cooper and Cody got to name the boy fish. After many disagreements they FINALLY decided on the name Killer. So far the kids have done a great job taking care of them, maybe soon they will be ready for a cat!

5 comments:

laura said...

Oh come on get the cat! :)

Kelly said...

I think it's so cool that there are divided tanks for those beta fighters. How fun. I tell you, I'm STILL tramatzed by how many fish got sick and died in my tank (all after I bought live plants for the tank and ruined the "delicate balance of the tank's ecosystem"). I am so not ready for fish again! Isn't that funny - I can handle a dog, but not fish. I should have let your kids name my dog too - at least they come up with creative names. My poor animal is STILL stuck with her stupic rescue name.

Rennie said...

I agree with Laura, get the cat! The cat is going to be easier and more fun than fish! Even though you have to clean a litter box, cleaning the fish tank and dealing with how often you have to change the water is a pain.

If you get a cat and keep the fish just remember that Valerie's and Killer's days will be numbered!!!

Haught Fudge said...

I laughed so hard when I read that Natalie named her "Valerie", that jsut made my day.

Get a cat, but not a minx. You won't have a daughter afterwards.

Jen Kesler said...

Pets are so much work! It's almost like having another kid sometimes. I guess there are pros and cons to everything...Getting fish was a good idea!